Piano wire tensile strength

PAULREVENKOJONES@aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES@aol.com
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:47:13 EDT

In a message dated 6/26/2005 9:00:32 PM Central Standard Time,
Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:

> I think it's a manufacturing miscalculation in how much the string was
> originally stretched &or twisted while wrapping.

That's an interesting observation and well worth researching among string
makers, i.e. how much twist of the wire gets ahead of the wrap during the
high-speed wrapping process, then how much slackens out of the wire after the
spinning stops. Also, how much twist (or torsional force) remains in the core held by
the wrap itself (or in mis-making of the string, is the torsional force
over-applied leaving the core wire close to an elastic limit).

PR-J