Piano wire tensile strength

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:18:18 -0400

I get it!  Thanks.  I haven't run into wound strings yet that have =
acquired a set at the bridge.  This makes sense, now.

--Cy--
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: PAULREVENKOJONES@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 9:31 PM
  Subject: Re: Piano wire tensile strength

  In a message dated 6/26/2005 3:23:53 PM Central Standard Time, =
741662027@theshusters.org writes:

    Are you saying that any half turn (180 degrees) causes some effect =
at the bridge that any whole turn (360) will not cause?

  After the string is on the piano for any period of time so that the =
"bend" in the wire around the bridge pins has "set" (for lack of better =
language), if you were to give the wire a half turn only, it would bend =
the wire against itself. Does that help, or did I make it worse?

  P R-J