Steinway Backchecks

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 07:51:15 -0700

Corfam and Ecsaine are two different materials. The Corfam material originally
used by Baldwin was developed and manufactured by DuPont. DuPont sold the
operation and subsequent owners changed the formula slightly without telling any
of their customers. It is this material that hardened before our very eyes.

Ecsaine is quite a different material. It is used in a variety of applications
quite separate from pianos. It is the basis of most Ultra Suede clothing,
upholstery and a variety of leather substitutes.

Del

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
David Skolnik
Sent: June 27, 2005 6:57 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Steinway Backchecks

Thanks Don.  It's hard to screw up the word "Corfam".

First, it seems that Escaine or Ecsaine is what we were using back then,
apparently erroneously.  Spelling-wise, Ecsaine seems correct, as the product
produced by the Toray Industry of Japan.  Escaine appears to be the "Nucular" of
the textile industry, since doing a search on the term brings up many pages of
reference to its use in Lexus vehicles, but absolutely nothing on the material
itself.

Does it have a nap? knap?

David Skolnik