Bass strings control - cleaning them

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:12:49 +0100

Hello Stephane
Someone on the List already in great difficulty thru' cleaning 10 year =
old Bass strings - they've gone dead and tubby sounding he said. I =
wouldn't advise cleaning bass strings at all - just opens a whole can of =
worms. Reason is the stuff (if it's liquid) gets into the interstices of =
the copper covering and cruds up the core.
Regards=20
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: St=E9phane Collin=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 5:31 PM
  Subject: Bass strings control

  Hello list.

  We all know those singing upper partials who appear in nice bass =
strings and make them breathe with the music.  I have a friend who =
doesn't like those.  He plays F2 on his piano, nice rowling sound with =
the singing upper partials who shake my spine, and he says "bah, no =
good".  Then he plays G2, nice rowling sound but no upper partials here, =
so for me good but might benefit one (no more) twist, maybe it will =
sing, maybe not, but the guy says "yeah man ! this one is really cool".  =
He wants them all like that.
  Any idea how to achieve this ?  I thought voicing would be of little =
help, but I might be wrong.  I thought I could clean the offending =
strings with copper polish, but I foresee a disaster.  Untwist maybe ? =
but then probably wounding buzzes.
  Anyone ever faced the same request ?

  Greetings.

  St=E9phane Collin.