knuckle size/ knuckle mounting distance

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:12:18 -0500

Hey Dale Erwin (and all),

Long time ago we were talking about moving/replacing knuckles.   I'm =
ready--um.... well, I have a friend who has all the equipment, anyway.  =
;-) =20

So, I'm ready to order knuckles.  One time you recommended the ones by =
Tokiwa.  I looked in the Pianotek catalog and saw that the Tokiwa =
knuckles only come in 10mm diameter.   I guess you wouldn't use them if =
it was a problem, but have you ever run into a case where that size just =
won't work regulation wise? =20

I have a couple sets of shanks and flanges downstairs and I haven't =
measured their width yet, so maybe I'm jumping the gun.   Perhaps I =
should just wait until I have the pianos in hand and can test different =
shanks & knuckles.

I also had a private e-mail from someone who said he doesn't like 17 mm =
knuckle distance, but prefers 16.5.  After using the 17 mm knuckle =
distance on the Big, dead hall D and having to set the key dip pretty =
deep (but no complaints from pianists), I am wondering if 16.5 mm =
distance and a bigger knuckle (or not) would be better than 17 mm. =20

The pianos that will probably get these sets of shanks and flanges are =
1920s (or give or take a few years) Steinways.  One B and the other an =
L.    I'd like to just have these sets ready and waiting for convenience =
sake and also, because my friend with the equipment is available now. =20

What would you do?

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond