knuckle size/ knuckle mounting distance

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:02:21 -0500

As always, Dale and David, thanks for your insight.  =20

I understand the hammer weight thing.  Let me add that this rebuilder =
found that the 17 mm provided a bit too much leverage for most projects =
and wished New York produced a shank with a 16.5 mm distance.

By any chance (though I know there are always exceptions) would 16.5 =
tend to work better in the earlier S&S pianos?=20
  =20
Are Ronsen Wurzen hammers generally lighter than NY S&S?

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Love=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 12:48 PM
  Subject: RE: knuckle size/ knuckle mounting distance

  =20

  I would use Renner knuckles.  The size will depend on the location.  =
The farther down the balancier, the bigger they tend to be.  Choice of =
16.5 over 17 should depend on the overall leverage as it relates to the =
hammer weight, not a personal preference. =20

  =20

  David Love
  davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20