Falconi & Pearl River

Avery Todd avery1@houston.rr.com
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:37:21 -0500

David,

At 12:46 AM 6/29/05, you wrote:
>In a message dated 6/28/05 3:58:17 PM Pacific=20
>Daylight Time, dporritt@mail.smu.edu writes:
>
>A lady called me and asked about the relative=20
>merits of Falconi and Pearl River pianos in the=20
>same price range.  I=E2=80=99ve not worked on either=20
>of these pianos.  Does anyone have any input on this?
>
>  Thanks!
>
>David,
>
>My experience with Pearl Rivers has been overall=20
>on the positive side, given the prices they sell=20
>for.  Some of them are among the most stable pianos I tune.
>
>I've also run into some that have regulation=20
>problems because the moisture content in the balance rail is unstable.
>
>I can't offer any Falcone (sp.?) input.
>
>Dave Stahl

I agree with Dave, although I don't "think" I've=20
had any moisture content in the Pearl Rivers. I=20
don't usually have a chance to follow up on any=20
thought, because I normally only do prep work on=20
them in the store. Like most pianos, they always=20
need some prep work: bedding, reg., hammer=20
fitting, some voicing, etc. However in my=20
experience, they always need much less than the Falcone. Much!

I just went to the newly redesigned web site of=20
PTG and in the manufacturers list, it says the=20
Falcone is no longer being made and the name=20
belongs to Mason & Hamlin. If correct, I wasn't aware of this.

Anyway, I'd go with the Pearl River any day of=20
the week! You can also get them with Piano Disc=20
installed in them. Also, the tech rep. is Mark=20
Wisner and he's been extremely helpful with any=20
problems I've had (which have been few and not serious). JMO.

Avery