How to know the value of a piano (in mint condition)

ed miller edmiller3 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 5 18:46:58 MDT 2006

I understand that there is much more to appraising pianos than just knowing
a single listed value, but I can't find a comprehensive guide to "list
prices".

The only book I know of is the The Piano Book by Larry Fine. I have not
found it too useful because so often a particular piano or model piano I am
looking for is not listed.

Also the Piano Book doesn't factor date of manufacture into the listed
value, all the pianos are listed according to model. I don't understand
this.....Wouldn't a piano of the same model, but manufactured 30 years
earlier be worth a different amount (whether it be more or less)?

Can anyone help me understand this, and suggest some other resources to help
me appraise pianos?

Thanks, Ed