How to know the value of a piano (in mint condition)

Will Wickham wwickham at stny.rr.com
Wed Apr 5 20:08:31 MDT 2006

Hi Ed,

Larry's book (second edition is what I have) has some pretty good
general info on pages 141-143. I go through a few steps to appraise a
piano: First, I use the depreciation schedule on page 143 to
determine the current value of older pianos.   I find (or estimate)
the age of the piano then multiply the suggested retail price of the
closest available model that is currently available by the indicated
percentage. That gives me a starting point. Second is to survey the
web for asking prices (and actual sale prices when I can find them)
for pianos of similar model and age. The third step is to call around
to "local" dealers to see what they might ask or expect to get for
the particular piano. The final step is to consider all of this along
with Larry's advice as well as the condition of the piano and come up
with a high figure (what the piano should be insured for or
replacement cost) and a "likely sale price" figure (what I'd
recommend the customer ask for or expect to get in a sale) for the
market conditions in the region where the piano is located.

While the first step doesn't apply in all cases (since you just can't
buy a Wing and Sons grand or any of the tall old upright style pianos
new these days) the others all have some bearing on all pianos.

Having said all of this, appraising is not an exact science, which I
think is why we don't have a comprehensive guide of used piano prices.

Good luck!

will wickham