String bearing point lubrication

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Wed Apr 5 23:45:05 MDT 2006

Joe --

Unless the customer actually sees me doing this prep work I don't even
bother to tell them. I sort of figure it's for my benefit more than theirs.
Those of you who actually enjoy splicing/replacing broken strings may think
differently. And I agree that protecting the wingdings is important. Oh, I'm
sorry. You said windings. Well, they're important too. ;-) With the needles
I would think that you are ultimately just saturating the contact point. Is
this really necessary? Do we really need more than just the tiniest amount
that would just wick? This isn't a challenge, I just want to make sure I'm
using a sufficient amount.

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles