hairspray hammer hardner question

Roger Jolly roger.j at sasktel.net
Thu Apr 6 00:31:38 MDT 2006

Hi Juli,
              To clarify.  Hammers need to be correctly shaped with
no significant grooves before any artificial hardeners are used, Also
hammers need to filed and fitted to the strings before any
significant amount of needling is done.
After heavy needling, some reshaping and string fitting is needed.
Hammer filing is an art, and it has to be learned , experience will
tell you when to just follow the contour of the felt, and when to
make the hammer a little more pointed..  There are several techniques
for shaping hammers .

Needling to obtain a brighter tone is usually done at the 8-9 o'clock
zone, and needs to be done very deep. 10-15mm.

My final step on ALL voicing/ reshaping jobs, is support the tails of
the hammers and give them a firm ironing with a small travel
iron.  The iron is hot enough to press any loose felt, firmly down,
but not hot enough to discolor the felt.
This operation will brighten up the hammers quite a bit.

Don't be shy about being a rookie.    I am still learning.

Regards Roger