String bearing point lubrication

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Wed Apr 5 20:28:00 MDT 2006

Greetings all --

I have had good success with using ProLube to lubricate the string bearing
points in older and/or rusty pianos. Any opportunity to reduce the risk of
string breakage is alright with me. Since I don't want any of it to
contaminate other parts of the piano I don't actually spray it, but have
instead been using a cotton swap to apply it. I'm writing today because
there just has to be a better way. Especially when you want to get some onto
those contact points behind the pressure bar on a small upright. Any
suggestions?

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles