Cargo to Go

william ballard yardbird at vermontel.net
Sun Apr 9 20:33:45 MDT 2006

On Apr 9, 2006, at 9:33 PM, piannaman at aol.com wrote:
> I have everything so crammed in my trunk, there is little
> possibility of movement no matter how hard I hit the brakes (or
> anything else).

Sounds like a sedan...right?

>  Which brings me to my question:  Is the PT Cruiser of adequate
> size to tote a grand action fairly comfortably?

No sweat! It's evan an improvement over my previous car, a Ford Focus
wagon which itself did the trick. The real advantage of the PT
Cruiser is that the rear seats are designed to be completely removed,
not simply the seat-back folded forward. For each seat, one button to
release the back from the side of the interior at the shoulder, one
lever to release the back of the seat, fold the back down frontwards
and pivot the entire seat forward on the two remaining clamps at the
seat front. These release with a simple latch and each seat lifts out
like a suitcase, leaving a clean flat (carpeted) deck from the rear
door to the backs of the front seats.

Stop by your local Chrysler dealer for a demo, you'll be amazed.

> I'll probably be car hunting in the next couple of years.  I'm
> looking for tech input on what works and what doesn't about various
> possibilities.

It's definitely a compact van, not something I'd want a family of
four to vacation in. And you soon realize (and get used to) how cozy
it is inside. Mileage could be better, I'm getting high 20s, and
that's with my cruisng speed 5 mph less than the speed limits.

I call the PT Cruiser the VW Bug (the original one appearing in the
50s) for the New Millenium: quirky styling, well-designed, and priced
for the proletariat.

Mr. Bill