Steinway hammer Bore Angles

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Apr 9 23:43:19 MDT 2006

Hi Clark
   I have a list with all the original bore specs that came from  a stwy
source.  There is nothing on it remotely close to this except I  believe all bass
hammers are 5.5 degrees. The first tenor is probaly 10  degress.  I can look
tomorrow if you need to know more than this.
   Dale

Hello, Listees!  I have a question that  I want to ask about the boring
angles on Steinway grands.  I have a 1904  short A that does not have the original
hammers on it, and the ones that are  there have barely any angle (Maybe 2 or
3 Degrees).  The strings are at a  15 degree angle to the stretcher.
    I looked up Newton Hunt's  posting of published hammer boring specs in
the archives, and the only bass  hammer angles for S&S that I saw were 5.5
degrees for an L and B, I  think.  I bored a couple samples at 8, 9, and 1 at 10
degrees, and  concluded that 8 would work.
    Any thoughts on this?  I  looked at a Baldwin R, next to it, and they
looked to be about 10.  What  do you all use?
Clark A. Sprague, RPT
_csprague4 at woh.rr.com_ ()

Dale  Erwin--Piano Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Calif 95357
Shop  209-577-8397
cell 209-985-0990
_http://www.Erwinspiano.com_ (http://www.Erwinspiano.com)
Specializing in the Restoration, Service & Sales  of
Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, & other fine  pianos