Feedback or Controversy on Bach/Lehman's temperament ?

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Tue Apr 11 23:25:48 MDT 2006

For those who like the visual display: here it is. A dromedary temperament
with two humps.

Another aspect that may or may not turn out relevant to the nuanced
sound/feel of a temperament
is the beat ratio within a triad. E.g., in the C major triad the minor third
EG and the major third CE beat
in a ratio of ~2.5 to 1 (or 5 to 2). The supposition is that nice clean
single number ratios make for a nice "tremolo" effect --
ET has a m/M beat ratio of about 1.7. Here is the graph of the Bach-Lehman
beat ratios, suggesting that keys of C and F
are pretty close to 5/2, G and D pretty close to 2/1, and E, B and Gb just
about 3/2 ... maybe this makes it sound nice??
Unclear until other temperaments are compared in this way .. but interesting
for the nonce:

(For more along these lines visit
http://rollingball.com/TemperamentsFrames.htm)

Jason Kanter . jkanter at rollingball.com