Feedback or Controversy on Bach/Lehman's temperament ?

Philippe Errembault phil.errembault at skynet.be
Wed Apr 12 03:20:52 MDT 2006

Hello Ed,

Thank you for your very interesting answer... which raises a few
questions... ;-)

> First, there are three questions, and two of them unanswerable.
Reading your mail, I'm not sure I understand - as a matter of fact, I'm
quite sure I
don't(*) - which were the three questions you mentioned, and which of them
are
answerable or not... This could be caused by my poor english level... Or
maybe,
you got carried in your own writing, forgetting how you started your reply ?
(It happens to me all the time ;-) )

(*) This is a joke, see last paragraphe

> I don't know that we can classify these temperaments as great, good, or
common
> without having some agreed upon ideal.  An ideal from which their
departure can
> be measured.   I would suggest the Young, with perfect symmetry from one
beat
> a second in C to a full comma in F#, it follows Werckmeister's rules).

I suspect this is question 1...

The problem with an objective criterion like the one you suggest, is that it
has to
be confronted with the subjectivity of it's choice... Is this ideal, really
matching the
audition ? Did Werckmeister think about ALL the reason's that would make a
good temperament ? I understood from Lehman's paper, that all reasons were
not
immediately clear why some things were important in this temperament...

I was thinking about something more subjective...
Let's say for an example, that a temperament would be common, if enough
people
(having tried it) agree on saying, either : that it is quite common, or that
it reaches
it's claims and the claims are common (let's say a common claim is that it
is really
nice with a relatively large range of music pieces).

And let's say that a temperament would be Great if more people agree on
saying
that it is great, or it reaches it's claims and the claims are
extraordinary, or it largely
exceeds common claim. (e.g. Being exceptionnally nice to most people hearing
for
all Bach's music and many others including modern music, would probably make
it Great ;-) )

> I doubt that Bach had the same tuning under his hands all the time, so the
idea
> someone finding  "his" temperament seems rather specious to me.

Is this question 2 ???

At least that's what Lehman claims. Now, If Bach invented it himself, I'm
quite sure
there were later AND previous work, and so the question would be : Is this
temperament _that_ good for the previous work... Why wouldn't he even change
his mind later so that even later work would be better with some other
temperament.
At least I suppose we can assume this temperament is good for all WTC work
and
he didn't change his tuning every now and then.

>  Some of the latest research into Bach's tuning involves a code of sorts
that
> graces the front cover of the WTC.   It contains the reversed image of a
> series of notes, and has been "decoded" to give a tuning that is making
some
> rather strenuous claims to authenticity.

Well, that's precisely what Bach/Lehman claims to be (see website) !?! Do
you mean
other people found other ways to decode it ?

> Since the piano's vastly different overtone spectrum may make a caricature
out
> of a temperament that was nicely colorful on a harpsichord or fortepiano,
I don't
> know what this tuning would sound like on a more authentic instrument
(...)

This could be question 3, then... and the one that could be answered... Am I
Right ?
Could you confirm my assumptions or be more specific ?

Regards,

Philippe Errembault