Stability & Favorites Poll

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Fri Apr 14 00:35:54 MDT 2006

Okay, I'll bite....

What is the most stable piano you tune?

A Yamaha U-3 I tuned after a 2 1/2 year hiatus.  I almost felt guilty for taking the lady's money!  Made in the '70s.

On a regular basis, a Kawai k-25, tuned every six months for the first couple of years.  Right at pitch the last time I tuned it, most unisons solid.

It got sold to someone living on the coast.  I tuned it over 6 months after delivery to its new location in an entirely different climate, and it barely needed me!

 What is the most improved piano in your territory, stability-wise, and what made the difference?

A 5 year old Seiler 180 that was almost 100 cents flat after never having been tuned since delivery.  The difference was made by it actually getting tuned.  It held pitch for six months afterward!

What is/was your favorite piano to tune?

My piano, a 1919 Mason AA.  It has such a sweet sound, with the Ronsen-Abel hammers, and I know I'll get to play it when I'm done.

Least favorite?

An old Steinway M that hates me and always does something to make me late to my next appointment, and a Remington 5' Grand that is in a palatial living room with nothing but hard surfaces, including a marble floor.