Buttressed Arch. Question for Ron N.

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Apr 15 04:03:27 MDT 2006

"...is there any advantage to trying to make that rim immoveable..."?

Yes! Then you can advertise that fact in your four-color tri-fold brochure
and sell lots of pianos because the other brand doesn't have what you have!

Actually, I suspect there is an advantage - one would likely make the rim
more massive and stiff in an attempt to make it immovable - not that you
would ever actually make it immovable, but rather you would end up making it
very massive and stiff - both good qualities for a good soundboard edge
termination associated with minimum soundboard energy loss - which, I
believe, is one of the main functions of a "good" rim - that and keeping the
soundboard off the floor.

Terry Farrell