scaling problem

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Apr 17 21:27:40 MDT 2006

If it's already destrung and you can't take measurements, how do you know
that there are two different size strings on one unison?  All strings in a
unison need to be the same size.  I'm not sure exactly what the situation is
but you should make the correction in one direction or the other.  Try and
determine if the pervious stringer just put on the wrong size by examining
the number of hitches per string grouping in that area.  You can also add a
hitch pin for a single string if necessary.

Should you decide to rescale, it's not a bad idea, there are several people
around who do it and it's not prohibitive.  All you need to do is measure
the speaking lengths and give the wire sizes you have for the plain wire
strings.  The method for measuring wrapped string lengths is usually to take
a measurement from the hitch pin to the bridge pin on the speaking side and
then the hitch pin to the agraffe or termination on the tuning pin side.
The speaking length can then be calculated by the difference and any good
scaler can calculate a wrapped string chart and scale from that data.  If it
is truly a learning experience piano, you will gain some knowledge by having
someone do the rescaling for you and you will also be able to solve the
current dilemma in an appropriate manner.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net