Re: Bösendorfer Rim

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 20 08:01:00 MDT 2006

Well, the 212F+ temperature is above the boiling point of water, so you will
indeed drive all the liquid water out of the wood. Held at that temperature,
the wood MC will come into equilibrium with the environmental RH. So if that
is low you will at least get 99.999999999% of the water out, and if it is
high, I guess you would still get 99+% out.

But what actually happens in real life at that temperature is that you also
start driving off some of the volatile compounds in the wood, so that when
you periodically weigh the wood sample to see if the water is driven off
(weight becomes steady), the sample weight loss slow drastically, but never
really stops completely.

Can we drive every molecule of water out of a wood sample - speaking in an
absolute sense in the real world (or at least in my oven) no, I suppose not.
Can we drive it all out for most any practical purpose, sure - heat it up to
212F+, hold it for a couple hours, and that sample will be dry at zero MC.

Terry Farrell