pin block repacement

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Fri Apr 21 09:42:39 MDT 2006

Owen,
I'm sure your going to get some great replies on this that I'll read with interest. I think you could probably do what your describing below and be fine. Be sure stretcher is solid. You could get creative and re-enforce it if needed with corner brackets or gussets. Dowelling the new block to the stretcher/old block tenon remains ala S&S wouldn't hurt. Fall board cove can be done with a router or diagonal feed over a table saw, dry fit and test for clearance, a lot of times more was removed from the old block than needed and you don't have to make it look the same, a simple bevel will probably work. I guess I should have started by saying I haven't seen a Hardman apart that I can remember so I don't know exactly what you have. One thing I have done is plug and re-drill with good success. Here is a link to photos on a Bosey block plug and re-drill. http://www.murrayspianotuning.com/id192.htm
Good luck,
Fenton