an e-mail I received about pianos

william ballard yardbird at vermontel.net
Sat Apr 22 21:40:32 MDT 2006

On Apr 22, 2006, at 5:16 PM, pianotune05 wrote:
> WE ARE LOOKING FOR A PARTNER-DEALER TO SELL IN TH USA BALAFONS
> BALAFON IS AFRICAN PIANO ,ORGAN,

There must be a shake out in the Nigerian "Hello-I-am-writing-to-most-
graciously-you-seeking-help-to-is-reclaim-my-fortune" industry.

The balaphon is the West African version of of the marimba (actually
the other way around), with wooden bars each with a gourd resonator,
struck with mallets. When properly played, the musician will appear
to be dancing. There's a guy about an hour south of here who spent
time in he tribes of Senegal and who plays it very well. http://
www.tonyvacca.com/tony.htm

Walk away at the first sign of "forward-me-your-banking-information-
so-that-I-can-send you-money".

No, it is no more a keyboard instrument than a thumb piano. http://
www.african.de/balaphon_e.html

Mr. Bill

"I'll play it and tell you what it is later...."
     ...........Miles Davis