CA glue on loose hammers

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sun Apr 23 04:26:32 MDT 2006

Hi John.

 Thanks... makes sense when you first stop to think of it.  I will
remember.  On the other hand I thought if you applied enough it would
soak into the wood only so far and then fill in the gap.  If it doesnt
do this really.... then what about <<fillining>> bridge pin holes ?  I
understood folks were just using CA straight up for that application.
For that matter....  what about tuning pins ?

What I dont understand about the shank / hammer head experience tho is
that the hammer was actually significantly looser when I came back
yesterday... way more wobbly. Almost like the shank just plain
shrunk...sounds unlikely but thats the feeling I got.  That despite a
slight buildup of glaze on the inside of the hole in the hammer.

Cheers
RicB

John Page writes:

The CA wicked away from the joint via the grain. Had you given it a shot
of accelerator first the CA would have remained in the joint.

This method has to be done for reinforcing any joint, grand jack mortices,
wippen support posts, upright jack support posts.

Accelerator, CA, accelerator.

Apply the accelerator to the opposite side of the joint to where you
apply the CA, if possible.
--

Regards,

Jon Page