Cristofori, et al.

Stephen Birkett sbirkett at real.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Apr 23 14:46:46 MDT 2006

Cristofori's innovative genius notwithstanding, the confusion in
understanding his actions goes way way back. There are two distinct
Cristofori actions: the first, shown in the Mafei drawing, and for
which there is no extant version, and the later ones, as in the
extant pianos and a lone aciton that is somewhere on the left of the
Rockies. The hammer heads on the 1720 met mus. Cristofori are not
original (in fact most of that piano is not original). Open core
hammer heads are very effective. Cristofori's, by the way, are rolled
paper, not parchment. Open hammer heads were used by Andreas Stein in
his early pianos, and continued by David Schiedmayer until the end of
the 18th century (he used cane which has a natural taper and cut it
into strips like salami). There are some distinct advantages to be
gained from this approach.

Someone (not possible to decipher the multiple layers of quoting) wrote:
>Still, several similar features do not make true the claim that
>"Cristofori developed the piano action as we know it today" which is
>what I was responding to. The piano action as we know it today is
>designed to play a massive instrument and provide rapid repetition
>while slinging tremendous amounts of weight with one's fingers
>(hopefully, without injury). Cristofori's design was meant to play -
>well, a "Gravicembalo" - a five octave harpsichord, essentially. He
>did not have to deal with all those issues of weight, the instrument
>was not  expected to fill more than a largish drawing room or
>perhaps dining room with its sound,

Mechanical comparison doesn't necessarily maintain scale. We might
consider whether a much lighter action such as cristofori is
mechanically equivalent (or close to) a modern action regardless of
dimensions are so on. However....

>  and so I scratch my head at why he got into all that complexity
>with intermediate levers that I see in his 1726 vintage action.

This is actually the clue to why cristofori's design in NOT the same
as a modern action. The problem comes from trying to classify
actions, for which Pfeiffer must take some of the blame. "Pushing"
action may well describe on some level both cristofori and the hopper
action, but mechanically they are totally different.

>The much simpler - but quite effective - "English"  hopper-type
>(that's "jack" in todays terms) action and the much more agile
>"Viennese" action served pianodom quite well for close to 100 years
>(yielding the music of Hayden, Mozart, Beethoven, among others)
>before the double escapement came on the scene, and the Erard design
>owes much more to the English hopper-action than the Cristofori
>design.

Yes. The true heir to cristofori is actually Stein's mechanism, which
he arrived at via the intermediary of Silberman, who essentially
copied cristofori. All of Cristofori, Silberman, Stein, and the later
Viennese actions (Walter and so on) rely on geometry to disconnect
the escapement mechanism. These types of actions have intersecting
arcs that eventually fail to intersect due to their relative motion.
On the contrary, the  English hopper action, and later Erard types
actions, disconnect by mechanical means - e.g. an inclined plane
which evenutally forces the escapement. Cristofori needed the
intermediate lever to reverse the arc of the key so as to achieve the
disconnection, since the centres of the hammer and key arcs were on
the same side. Stein took Cristofori and inverted all the components,
putting what was on the ground (e.g. heammer rail) on the key and
vice versa. He also inverted the direction of the hammer, which
eliminated the need for an intermediate lever.  In effect the key
itself serves the role of the intermediate lever.

[Much of the above analysis, by the way, can be attributed to Bill
Jurgenson back in 1989.]

I have some very interesting high speed videos of a holle hammerhead
checkless Stein action which I will show in my class at Rochester.
Stein never used checks because they weren't necessary with his
design, as can be seen in the videos. In fact, a properly regulated
checkless Stein action cannot be made to double strike no matter how
hard you hit the key. Most of the checkless so-called Stein actions
used in modern repro fortepianos are not correct in multiple
respects, and they very often bounce.  Stein's action does not. No
check needed.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett