CA glue on hammershanks

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun Apr 23 09:08:46 MDT 2006

Dean writes:

<< My experience parallels Jon's. I always use a spritz of accelerator in a
loose wood joint. Otherwise no glue remains in the joint, it all soaks into
the wood. >>

Greetings,
     It is my understanding that CA sets up because a weak acid, formed in
the glue in the presence of atmospheric water), breaks a chemical bond in the
glue, which causes the unstable liquid to instantly solidfy.   The accelerator
is simply a very weak acid solution.  You can usually get the same effect with
just a little moisture. (if you ever attempt to blow the last bit of CA out of
of the tip, you may find an addition glued to your lip. DAMHIK).
    If you slightly moisten the hammershank before applying the glue to the
joint, you may find that the result will be an extremely fast, solid bond. The
same thing happens if you rub chalk on the end of the hammershank.  It stops
the joint starvation.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT