Why do we need crown?

Calin Tantareanu calin.tantareanu at gmx.net
Sun Apr 23 09:55:06 MDT 2006

Well, I guess we could dispense with bearing on the bridge, but then
bridgepins might not be an appropriate termination any more, abd we would
need some sort of metal clamp - like Stuart's bridge agraffe.

> entirely different dynamic balance between strings and
> soundboard than we're used to couldn't work quite well. Wayne
> Stewart's piano, for instance, has neither bearing, nor
> crown, and sounds very nice to some. My ear says the tone
> falls apart at above moderate volume levels. The kilo or two
> of brass agraffes on the bridges is, I think, the only reason
> it works at all, and if he'd put in some cutoff bars and
> substantially beef up the ribbing, the tone would hold
> together much better at higher attack levels. Then you'd have

But then I guess the problems you identify with his piano are not because of
the bridge agraffe, but because his soundboard seems to be rather floppy and
perhaps too big. Right?

By the way, Stuart is no longer the only manufacturer who makes pianos with
bridge agraffes. I have seen the Steingraeber with bridge agraffes a week
ago and must say it was a most impressive piano. I'll try to gather some of
my pictures and make them available online soon on my website.

Calin Tantareanu