Why do we need crown?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Apr 23 09:15:20 MDT 2006

> All the discussion about crowned ribs, panels and such led me to a question:
> Why is there a need for crown in a soundboard?
> If one would use a flat panel with adequately proportioned ribs, such as to
> provide the necessary stiffness of the panel and resistance to the down
> bearing of the strings, wouldn't the soundboard work just as well?
> Yes, it would probably be bent in a reversed crown, but I really don't see a
> problem with that for now.
>
> Regards,
>
> Calin Tantareanu

For that matter, do you need bearing? I don't know why an
entirely different dynamic balance between strings and
soundboard than we're used to couldn't work quite well. Wayne
Stewart's piano, for instance, has neither bearing, nor crown,
and sounds very nice to some. My ear says the tone falls apart
at above moderate volume levels. The kilo or two of brass
agraffes on the bridges is, I think, the only reason it works
at all, and if he'd put in some cutoff bars and substantially
beef up the ribbing, the tone would hold together much better
at higher attack levels. Then you'd have a no crown no bearing
piano that works, but still sounds somewhat different than
we're used to, which isn't necessarily bad.
Ron N