Why do we need crown?

Calin Tantareanu calin.tantareanu at gmx.net
Sun Apr 23 05:12:29 MDT 2006

Hello!

All the discussion about crowned ribs, panels and such led me to a question:
Why is there a need for crown in a soundboard?
If one would use a flat panel with adequately proportioned ribs, such as to
provide the necessary stiffness of the panel and resistance to the down
bearing of the strings, wouldn't the soundboard work just as well?
Yes, it would probably be bent in a reversed crown, but I really don't see a
problem with that for now.

Regards,

Calin Tantareanu