Why do we need crown?

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sun Apr 23 14:51:49 MDT 2006

Hi Dale,

Your word on the strings seating  bit is good enough for me.  I threw
that into the mix hoping to get a response one way or the other like
yours.

That said, I still get the feeling a negative crowned board is less then
a desirable from the standpoint of the panel being under tension, and
being pushed further into tension by any positive downbearing.  My point
was that one is (I mused) decreasing the stiffness to mass ratio that
way.  You seem to echo that with the perspective in your second
paragraph below.  Ok... so maybe decreasing stiffness for mass may be
something one would want in a given situation... but like I said,  I
sure as heck dont need any CA to get confused !

Cheers
RicB

Hi RIc
   Not so  with the reverse crowned board.  I have  worked on my share of
intentional reverse crowners & although the board  is under a positive
downbearing load the pins do not have any more trouble  staying seated
than the
conventional system. The board is under tension but in  my expereince
with less
adverse affects than the boards built ....the other  way
  The whole issue of crown is that is needed or certainly desirable to
create varying amounts of impedance by compressing the soundboard, which
is a
spring  thereby making it more reactive to vibration & thus move more
air,sound
etc. but we've certainly covered this before.  right?
  Dale

Hi  Don.

Then too... in the grand it seems like we have trouble  enough as it is
keeping strings seated to the bridge. Downbearing  or no... with the
panel countercurved as it were it would seem to me that  the strings
would find it even easier to become  unseated.

Cheers
RicB