Our own pianos

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 26 21:43:39 MDT 2006

   _____

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of pianotune05
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:10 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: Our own pianos

Hi Avery,
I agree with you.  It's dificult to tune, but I tuned a new piano that
didn't hold well not too long agon.  It's interesting I must add.  I wanted
someone I met in our field to see how my tuning is doing.  I tuned for them,
and it took me forever as usual.;)  The tuning was great.  A week later, I
tuned for them again, and they wanted me to do two pianos. I did them in the
same time frame  The pins on these were tight, stiff and I had to work hard
with them.  My unisons were "squirly" as in someting that eats acorns? :)
I'm not sure what they meant.  Anyway, I need to up my speed and somehow get
past this awesoe tuning squirly tuning swing and stay on a steady flow of
awesome tunings.  I usually get the unisons in really well. Have you guys
had this happen in the beginning of your careers?
Marshall
[Leslie Bartlett]
How about all through one's career........................................
It never ends which is why the better tuners say that every piano can be a
teacher.  I personally think a piano can't be "forced"into tune, but the
tuner has to come to understand the particular "personality" of the piano
and work as the piano allows.   But then I'm crazy.............  :-) After
I've done some big deal tuning for a concert here or there, I'll inevitably
come on some "thing" which will eat my lunch and make me pretty sure I know
nothing at all.   Ron Nossaman  did a whole class a couple years ago,
spending an hour and a half telling us a piano can't be tuned.   Horrible
class!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - and one of the most useful I've
ever attended.  But now, each time I sit down at a piano I remind myself it
can't be tuned, and I find a burden lifted as I go about doing the best my
skills will allow, and accept the fact  that the perfectionist ideal I seek
doesn't exist.It keeps one humble,and ever learning
 les bartlett