Am I being too anal?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Apr 29 13:16:51 MDT 2006

Hi Joe,
Always the troublemaker... <G>
----------------
> consulted S&S and got another set of drop screws....Same damned thing!
> Now what?!!!!
---------------

At the risk of being found out (again) for a Philistine, I'd
put them in as is and not worry about it.

  > The "tit" will cause excessive wear to the balancier
contact surface, IMO.

I don't think so. There's very little movement of the drop
screw against that balancier covering in play, and at most, a
reverse "tit" ("tit" spelled backward - "tit") will form in
the leather. No biggie.

> However, I really don't know. Should I just install these "flawed" parts
> and deal with it later or?????

I would, and see if it NEEDS to be dealt with later.

> I'm at the point, now, that I could order drop screws from Schaff or
> Piano Tech, but don't know if they would be the same dimension(s).

What Steinway part have you ever seen that was a standard
dimension, or matched anything else on the planet?

>Also,
> there is the fact that these would not be "Steinway Parts", so it
> wouldn't be a Steinway any more.<G>

There you go. It's probably a feature.

By the way, speaking of features, how many new Steinway
actions do you suppose have half - or ANY, for that matter, of
their hammer centers repinned before they're assembled?
Ron N