Help scaling

Michael Spalding spalding48 at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 1 06:31:25 MDT 2006

Jason,

Here's a few thougts to get you started:

Yes, replace the plate and measure to the nearest mm.  Pscale and Arledge both work with metric lengths.

If the plate hasn't been cleaned up or refinished yet, you may be able to see which tenor/treble hitch pins had tied loops.  They're usually next to a strut.  If you can't tell, you'll have to cound hitch pins and do the math (3 pins for each 2 notes means no tied loops, more pins means tied loops).

Non-destructive hole measurement might be hard to accomplish, since you're dealing with a rough surface, and a compressible material.  Also, no guarantee they're all the same size.  If you're comfortable with over-sized pins, you might drill/ream to the appropriate diameter.  Or do one of the epoxy fill or hardwood plug repairs that have been discussed here.  (You didn't mention budget restrictions??)

Bass scaling.  This is fun, and I think you would enjoy working this problem.  But, if you just send your tracings to James Arledge, he will do the scaling analysis and send a set of super strings.

have fun

mike