Pianotek's ebony sharp stain

Dave Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 2 22:54:33 MDT 2006

On 7/30/06, Farrell quoth:

>I've used the Transtint dyes and have found them to be a very good
>product. But as far as brown streaks in the ebony is concerned, I
>would question where the problem is - with the ebony sharps or
>elsewhere. Why disguise that beautiful spark of natural beauty with
>dye? We're talking character here....

I totally back Terry on this. Let ebony show its true colors. Polish
but dont stain. I used to work for a harpsichord and forte piano
maker, many times the sharps were pear wood which is easily available
and machines very nicely,  and we stained that black with aniline
dye, but if we had ebony tops on sharps or naturals we left the light
streaks and in fact laying out the keytops, you might try to repeat a
pattern if possible with the resawn ebony, and emphasize the grain.
There is not much prettier......
--
----Dave

Dave Doremus, RPT