tight front rail key bushings (Chinese)

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu Aug 3 14:06:27 MDT 2006

<< It seems that the width of the mortise is just too narrow. It takes all of
my grip to open these up and my key easing pliers feel as like they are about
to break .

    I eased last night and quite a few are tight again today.

I'm thinking of inserting key bushing cauls of a diameter larger than the
front rail pin.(I didn't have my Micrometer at the store)and size overnight with
alc. and water.

    I don't have the electric key bushing easer from the supply houses

    What Y'all think? >>

I think you are needlessly crushing wood fibers in an attempt to make up for
poor construction.  Maybe so much that the fibers are just springing back like
a sponge against the pin.   I don't think there is much more you can do in
that direction.
     Rebush with thinner cloth, if possible, or using two files taped
together, open up the mortises, evenly!  Then rebush.
good luck,

Ed Foote RPT