tight front rail key bushings (Chinese)

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 14:12:12 MDT 2006

Well, if the cloth wasn't so darned thin, I'd say you should get & use
the electric keybushing easer (soldering iron w/ various sized tips).
I've used it myself on similar Chinese pianos, but the felt went from
"thin" to "paper thin."
I think the large caul & alcohol & water procedure would work, but
make sure you dry them out thoroughly (i.e. in a hot box). I wouldn't
be surprised if the key wood has some seasoning procedures neglected.
Perhaps a call to their tech support is in order -- they might pay to
have it done "properly" rather than expediently!
Oh, have you checked the friction on the key pins? Maybe a good
cleaning & polishing will remove some residual gunk and get you out of
the red zone.
Good luck,
Patrick Draine