tight front rail key bushings (Chinese)

TOM DRISCOLL tomtuner at verizon.net
Thu Aug 3 13:52:58 MDT 2006

List,
    I've been asked to prep a 7' Hardman (Dongbei ) for a dealer.
    This piano has front rail key bushings that refuse to stay eased. The bushing cloth is very thin , not installed too deep in the mortise and the mortise sides are straight..
It seems that the width of the mortise is just too narrow. It takes all of my grip to open these up and my key easing pliers feel as like they are about to break .
    I eased last night and quite a few are tight again today.
I'm thinking of inserting key bushing cauls of a diameter larger than the front rail pin.(I didn't have my Micrometer at the store)and size overnight with alc. and water.
    I don't have the electric key bushing easer from the supply houses
    What Y'all think?

Tom Driscoll RPT