Bechstein E?

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Thu Aug 3 14:07:39 MDT 2006

Hi Ric.

I must agree with you, the pre destruction of the Berlin factories Bechstein model D is a very nice design : I had some in my hands, and all were at least interesting pianos, at best really thrilling ones.  Just, in each case, some problems at the three or four notes around the alto-soprano strut, but else, wow.
On the other hand, among the four pre destruction of the Berlin production facilities model E that I ran across, only one was a nice instrument (yes, it is the one I bought, hehe, and it is from 1928, so I don't think it was discontinued, I only think there were few ever made).  The three others (unrestored, I admit, but then ...) were totally gutless.  I noticed also that Bechstein did change the soundboard desing of the model E a few times, sign that they were not happy with it.  One of them even had a double ribbing sheme : one set of you would say normal ribs, and another set of ribs running across the previous ones, in a second layer.  But no power at all, even with new hammers.
I believe this is one of the reasons why Bechstein has gained his pre disaster popularity with the model B (200 cm) renowned as a perfect chamber music piano.
Sorry for restraining my comments to the older Bechstein pianos, but I never even saw a modern Bechstein piano in real.  Most probably, the newer model D, which is a trifle longer than the pre etc model E, must be a beast of high pedigree : I heard André (Oorebeek) speak wonders about the prototype he saw and heard.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.

P.s. : did I understand you are from UK ?  I was wondering if Bechstein ever had a production facility (I mean production facility, not only show room) in UK.  What makes me think that is that I have seen one (and one only so far) Bechstein piano with the soundboard decal in english (most probably original).  I would be happy to know that, as I am most interested in the history of pre war Bechstein pianos.