Backcheck noise

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu Aug 3 17:12:05 MDT 2006

<<  new Steinways recently with very loud hammer
tail to backcheck leather contact noise--especially audible on a soft blow.
The leather looks and feels relatively normal but the noise is definitely
bothersome.  What is the likely cause and remedy.   >>

Tails too rough.  I can get good checking when I leave them pretty smooth on
a radius is about 3" but it seems that factory hammers are often much steeper
than that and depend on rough tails for checking security.
    Sometimes, the new hammers don't have enough material left on the tail to
correct the radius, <sigh>.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT