Backcheck noise

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Aug 4 13:53:42 MDT 2006

At 11:46 am -0500 4/8/06, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>Ecsaine...also wears at least as well as leather in the piano, and
>isn't reactive to moisture.

Compared with "animal suede" at the Ecsaine official site, the two
respects in which the two materials are identical are abrasion
resistance and moisture permeability
<http://www.ecsaine.com/english/about/suede/index.html>.

The checks on good quality European grands are always covered with
this doeskin or elkskin, both of which are greatly superior to any
generic "animal suede" or "leather".  An the checks on an 1880
Bechstein I'm working on at the moment has the original elkskin
checks and looks set to go on for another 120 years without
significant wear.  The silky smooth face of doeskin or elkskin
combined with the downward directed nap means that it will withstand
very heavy wear for a long time and be very quiet as well.  I don't
know what the 'leather' mentioned in this thread is, but I'd like to
see Ecsaine compared with elkskin as regards the use to which we put
it in the piano.

I have never seen Ecsaine or any other substitute used by a European
maker of any quality.

JD