tuning

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 4 16:21:20 MDT 2006

I guess I do a type of whole tone tuning...you could call it whole tone tuning by eye, ear & throat (I mutter a lot)..;-]  I use my SAT III and tune unisons as I go...all my checks are done with tuned unisons...What John mentions below about changes to your tuned notes if making a tension change is so important to remember.
When I'm bringing my three strings into tune I can instantly see if something is drifting...I tune most unisons with my SAT and then check aurally for movement...usually if I hear an aural problem, one string has moved slightly...of course with the ETD I find unisons where I have to flatten one string and sharpen the other to get a decent unison...inherent string problems.

I suggest strictly aural tuners at least consider working with a ETD occasionally to "see" what they are missing...

Because of the recent price increases, I am going to have to do with my old flamesuit...so be nice

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044