Steinway D water damage

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 19:10:43 MDT 2006

John,
PLEASE don't use one of those metal sleeves! If you're going to remove
the pin probably the best fix would be replugging the hole with a
multilaminate plug from Webb Phillips, then drilling and inserting a
new 2/0 pin. Cleaning the hole out and driving in a larger pin is an
option, but not a good idea if the block is cracking as you fear.
Saturating the base of the offending tuning pins (withour removing the
pins) after you've gotten the pinblock reasonably dried out, and the
general area cleaned up, is a very reasonable "least invasive" option.
But like I said, forget the metal sleeve.
Best,
Patrick Draine