Steinway D water damage

Marcel Carey mcpiano at videotron.ca
Sat Aug 5 07:07:34 MDT 2006

Hi John,

I'll interspread my comments but have questions. Would this be a case of
insurance claim? If so, I would make an estimate to replace whatever was
touched by water. If not and the owners are money thight, I would just
CA the 3 pins in question. This is a non invasive procedure and you
should be able to feel the results in about 15 minutes. A second
application may be in order to achieve desired result.

Hello - to answer some questions below:

1) Water did get into the tuning pins area - rust on coils and pins
indicates this.
2) I never saw this piano before being called to assess the damage - so
do not know much of it's history.   It was terribly out of tune, so I
proceeded to tune it partly to just see if it would hold it's tune.  (It
is).  The three notes in question (F#2-G2-G#2) each have one pin that
will not hold pitch (extremely loose).  In fact, it rapidly drops more
than 100% when pulled up.  The three pins are all in a row - top pin on
F#2 and G2 and middle pin on G#2 (top being furthest from the keys).
The water damage was discovered after a couple of days - then the owner
opened the piano and ran a fan for a week or so before I got to it.  It
now has been an additional week - so probably 2 weeks or more from
damage to present - the pins still won't hold.
3) strings render through agraffes just fine - some of the agraffes are
rusty - but most are OK.   Same with tuning pins - most are OK - some
are very rusty in the middle section (strangely, not those mentioned
above).   Likewise with some stagger pins.
4) by climate control, I simply meant that presently the room has AC
running and the RH is at reasonable levels (below 50%) - However, in
winter we'll see RH around 5-10% and sometimes in summer up above 70%.

My plan is to replace the strings (and tuning pins) as well as clean the
light rust from the stagger pins affected.  However, my worst fear is a
crack in the pin block in the affected area, which if true, obviously
needs to be repaired prior to re-stringing.  Your "wait" advice is
exactly what I previously told the customer - we need to make sure the
pin block is absolutely dry before condemning it.  Then, I plan to
remove the offending pins to (maybe?) permit further drying - and try
replacing them with slightly larger (or at least inserting a sleeve) to
see if I can get the piano to hold pitch on those spots.  If all goes
well, I can proceed with the string replacement and rust cleanup.  If
not, I suppose we're looking at a pin block replacement.

Please John NEVER NEVER, did I say NEVER use these sleeves. They are
useless and even harmfull. If the pinblock is cracked (which I doubt for
a Steinway). You would just be enlarging the crack. Same applies to
oversized pins in case of a cracked pinblock. This is why I prefer CA
for cases like this.

Thanks for all the help and please comment on my approach - also, re:
the stagger pins - I plan to remove the rust using a very fine sandpaper
wrapped around an emery board (like 0000 fineness).  Does anyone see a
problem with this?  Is there something I can then put on the stagger
pins to inhibit future rust buildup, or should I just leave them alone?
The rust there is very slight, and I think it would be way overkill to
remove and replace stagger pins - what do you think?

If there is no rust on the speaking lenght, I'm not sure about the
necessity to try to remove all the rust between the pins and agraffes.
You could use a dremel tool with a brass brush, this would be more
efficient than the sandpaper board.
Lastly (Marcel's question) - how much water are we talking about?  I
don't know - seems like not a huge amount.   An air conditioner failed
and condensated over the piano - which was covered so most water ran
off.  I did see evidence of water in the action - some backchecks were
damaged and also some knuckles (the buckskin got wet and shrank away) -
felts all looked ok so they seem to have weathered the storm.  This does
indicate to me that there must have been a sort of trickle - or stream -
of water running down through part of the piano.   The entire bass
section is completely unscathed.   Most damage is in the middle - with
some rust evident in the high treble as well.   The piano (judging by
the appearance of the bass section) previously had no rust - so all the
rust we're talking about is "new rust" - for what that's worth.

If the water got on the backchecks, you might as well replace them now.
They will dry out and harden and make noise. And if there was so much
water in there, did it get through to the action? Any signs of excess
friction with the hammer flanges? You might as well make sure that you
do everything to this piano before it comes back to haunt you. Customers
will expect the piano to perform like it was before and shouldn't expect
to keep spending money on the long run for this incident. I would give
them 2 estimates. One overhaul estimate with full warranty, and, one for
just making it work. Ask them about possibility of insurance claim, this
could be your way out of just patching things and would give them worry
free future.

Just my 2¢

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC

Thanks again! - John

Need more info. Like Marcel asked, "did water get on the (tuning) pins
area"? When did this occurr - if you've got fans on the thing, perhaps
it has only been a couple days or so?

You state: "...there are three strings F#2-G2-G#2 that will not permit
tuning." What is it about the strings that will not permit tuning? The
strings will not render through the agraffe? The tuning pins are frozen
in position? The tuning pins are loose?   More details......... wazzup?

Depending on how much water got on the pinblock (I'm assuming it got
there), and how long it was exposed to the water, and what kind of
avenues are there for water to soak into the pinblock, it may take quite
a long time for the pinblock to dry out - maybe a month or more for the
block moisture content to stablize. Again, depending on how much water
might have gotten in there, I'd recommend as a first step to simply give
it some time - and a fan is a good thing. See if it doesn't improve
after a couple weeks.

And if the room is climate controlled, why on earth is the piano
equipped with a DC?

Terry Farrell