1/2 punching

David C. Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Sat Aug 5 16:05:45 MDT 2006

>Hello to All.
>
>      Cutting the punching is an older  procedure than
>that,  much older.
>     I had a discussion at  Cal-State  years ago  with Wally
>Brooks on this subject, he at that time had used it for  years.
>      I first became aware if it in the late 1940's  or early
>50's.  We called it  " Clipping the Centers".
>    The man that taught this procedure was well into his
>60's then.   I have demonstrated this in a class I  give
>" Upright Touch on the Up and Up" many times
>
>  Regards,
>Jack Wyatt

Hi Jack

Thank you so much for the added history....!   We have so much to learn for
our past and so much is often lost....  For me personally to have
discovered it on my own, being forced by need, and then discovering that it
is an age old technique gives me a true sense of connection with someone in
our piano past who had the same motivation...

>Well, that's what I have on this Bechstein E...strikeweight of 6.0...the
>veneer shim sounds better...so the problem is the key leverage?   The KR
>averages .52...I would have to move the capstans to improve it otherwise?
>
>David Ilvedson, RPT

Hi David

Yes I would say that to otherwise change the overall ratio, then capstans
would be the solution.   Another solution is lighten the hammers.... tone
and voicing will guide your as to whether this is a better choice.  1/2
medium weight zone is generally the maximum mecommended for a weight ratio
of 6.0....  what's you strike weight level?   Spread, bore, & action
elevations look ok?  In my experience ratios levels of 5.7 or lower tend to
feel more controllable in all dynamic ranges.

>In your photo, which really clarified the shim placement, is the bottom
>punching made of wood?  Or does it just appear like that on my computer
>screen?
>
>Loren Hedahl

Hi Loren,

Both shims are of wood.  I'm sorry but I don't have a photo of a "Clipped
Center" but I'm sure you can imagine a half punching glued to the bottom of
the key.

David Stanwood