Installing new key end felts

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Aug 6 10:57:37 MDT 2006

At 12:28 pm -0400 6/8/06, Farrell wrote:

>Okay, this all sounds really terrific. At least for cutting the
>felt. What type of saw do you use to cut the tails of the keys apart?

I presume you're joking?

At 8:49 am -0400 6/8/06, Mark Dierauf wrote:

>As for applying glue to the wood instead of the felt, I have always
>done it this way ... I have no problems with gluing keys together!

Provided the glue is of the proper consistency this will not happen
so long as the keys are tightly packed together.  After all, this is
how things are done in the factory.  Even if a tiny bit of glue finds
its way down, the keys will separate easily.  It's not necessary to
wait till the glue is rock hard before using the knife.  An hour is
quite enough.  I'm using the same technique at the moment to recover
32 upright butts (in batches of 8) and allowing 90 minutes before
cutting up.  There's no glue in between.

JD