1/2 punching

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat Aug 5 16:41:23 MDT 2006

I'll tell you what I'd try there David.  Instead of starting right off
by repositioning capstans,  I'd simply take strips of flange paper, say
0.2 to 0.3 mm thick and place them under all punchings tight up to the
back side of the balance rail pins. One strip should be good for most of
each section on a grand.  See if this does it for you. Essentially its
the same thing as what David Stanwood describes with his <<ratio shim>>
except that you are simply installing for the entire piano.  Should drop
the Balance Weight Ratio... or Strike Weight ratio if you prefer by
around 0.5 +/- a hair.  As David states, the problem of chucking doesnt
turn up.

Since all this is up, I might as well reveal (since I am an open source
kind of guy) that I'm working on a scheme useing center pin wire along
these lines to cause a clear and distinct dual ratio characteristic to
key travel.  Since the initial part of the key stroke benifits greatly
by reductions in dynamic weight, yet the last 3 mm of key travel could
well benifit by an increase in stack action travel for key travel, if
the key could be made to act as a low ratio key for the first half of
its travel and then act as a higher ratio key for the last half of
travel then both these benifits are served.  Looks quite doable really.
The standard punching actually does this to some degree... tho key to
key variance in this performance is quite large.  Defining front and
back fulcrum points more precisely lets you have all the weight
advantage benifits of the back half punchings and at the same time all
the travel (distance) benifits of front half punchings.

Cheers
RicB
Well, that's what I have on this Bechstein E...strikeweight of 6.0...the
veneer shim sounds better...so the problem is the key leverage?   The KR
averages .52...I would have to move the capstans to improve it otherwise?

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044