Re.Key end felt

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 5 17:34:40 MDT 2006

David said: "My only comment is does the key felt rub against their neighbors? I think I'd prefer slightly narrower than the key..."

David,
If you look at a set of grand keys, when they are on the frame, you'll see that an amount of the end of the key was removed in the process of making them. This is so that the neighbor key does not interfer when the una chorda is engaged.
I've been doing key end felt this way for eons. There have been a few instances where a "smidgeon" needed to be trimmed from the sides so that interference was eliminated. The "interference" was usually caused by a poorly designed back action, not the neighboring keys.
My method is similar: I do a section at a time. (same) I clamp the  backs of the keys with a bar clamp. (different, I suspect) I apply the hot hide glue to the key stick(s), so that there is penetration and better bond with the felt. (different) I tried applying the glue to the felt, but that was not suitable, IMO. I slice the keys apart with a VERY thin VERY sharp knife. The overall appearance is neat and tidy, IMO.<G> I've seen examples of the "pre-cut" method. It is a bit butt ugly, even tho they function just fine.
Cosmetics are important in the work we do, IMO.
Regards,
Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I