bechstein

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Aug 6 22:34:56 MDT 2006

With the exception of note 16 (not sure what's going on there), I don't see
any real problem here.  Even if you were you to reweigh down to 37 or 38
grams, you are comfortably under FW maximums (as outlined by Stanwood
charts).  You do have some room to add weight especially if you wanted to
push up the balance weight a little.  An R of 5.6 or 5.7 is a reasonable
target, in my view, for good regulation specs--check and see though.  If you
smooth out the strike weights in the basic range that your hammers seem to
be falling and set up the front weights accordingly aiming for a uniform
balance weight, you should be fine.  I would double check the measurements
on #16.  My guess is that there is some measurement error.  Trying to get
perfectly uniform R numbers is generally not possible depending on things
like uniform knuckle hanging, straight capstan line and capstan line
parallel to the balance rail line (which it appears you may not have), not
to mention elimination of measurement error (always a factor).

If the current hammers produce a tone that you like with the current weight,
why would you change hammers?  If you want to experiment with weight, you
can always use the binder clip method--removeable too!

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com