bechstein

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Mon Aug 7 03:33:51 MDT 2006

Hi David

Thanks for the FW's.  You got fairly high friction levels in the two
bass notes, and of course that number 16  just plain wild. I suppose you
checked and double checked your measurements. Then all of a sudden in
the treble you have much lower friction levels and very high BW's.  Your
BW is too high all around but especially in that low frictioned treble.
All that can be dealt with in the course of installing new parts and
regulating the thing once you've decided what you want to do about SW's
/ FW's and your ratio.

With your 5.7 ratio, I'd say your ok with the basic strikeweight curve
you have, but you could handle a notch or two up if you want.  Looks to
me that you have problems typical of a piano with old parts, and some
basic touchweight evening out to do. New hammers and shanks, rebushed
keys with balance rail holes dressed up or renewed will help a good deal
with the first bit. Appropriate FW's for your SW's, ratio, and desired
BW will take care of the basics of your touchweight.  The rest is
picking through and troubleshooting.

I generally approach these jobs pretty conservatively.  I rarely get
into changing the ratio. Just pick an appropriate SW curve and more or
less do the weighoff from a mathmatical perspective rather then the old
<<lets get a 50 gram downweight>> bit.

Cheers
RicB

Bechstein E, #158555, 1966, Renner action...hammers not original but
appear to be Renner   17 mm KC

N      U     D     BW     SW     KR     WW     KC        R   FW
16    24     56     40     10.7     .53     19.5     17mm    6.8   42,7
17    20     56     38     10.7     .52     20.4     17mm    5.6   33,1
40    42     55     48.5    9.4     .52     20.4     17mm    5.7   16,3
41    36     54     40       9.7     .51     19.9     17mm    5.8   19,1
64    36     54     45       7.2     .51     19.9     17mm    5.8   7,2
65    37     53     45       7.1     .51     19.8     17mm    6.1   8,2

Bob M. at Pianotek thinks I need heavier hammers on this 9ft piano.
The piano is generally in a studio and rolled out to a stage/gym a few
times a year.   I don't think I need a heavier hammer...
I mocked an Abel Standard hammer on key #33 with a stock weight of 9.1
grams gave me, with a 3/8" lead=11.5 grams on the key, a downweight of
about 50 and a 25 gram upweight.  The hammer was stock so it needs all
the typical trimming which will lower it's weight and lower the
downweight and upweight...a lower up weight is not good...