bechstein

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Mon Aug 7 17:43:11 MDT 2006

Hi again David

The 4-3-2 / 3-2-1  etc are leading patterns and in general the more lead
peices you put in the heavier your FW's.  In the last few years Stanwood
has developed his pattern leading to roughly relate to various FW curve
levels.  The pattern leading distibutes key mass more evenly so as to
allow for both an even FW (static) curve and a more even key to key
inertia which gets into dynamic key <<weight>>.

I dont have his primer book so I cant reference it... but a 5.7 ratio
with a SW8 or 9 curve generally points to reasonably close to maximum FW
levels (depending on what BW you are specifying of course.)  I believe
he also operates with a 5-4-3-2 pattern.

If you havent already down so... review the see-saw science
<http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/seesaw.pdf> side at his website.  Put this
stuff into perspective with his balance equation and experiement with an
action model til you get it figured out.  Keep it basic for now.

Cheers
RicB

Thanks Ric,

I might take you up off line...so I'm looking at my "Little Stanwood
Primer Book" at Appendix A...touch weight parameters table.   Not sure
what the 3-2-1 compared to the 4-3-2 means other than more lead in the
keys?   The 4-3-2 shows my 5.7 will get me in SW8 or 9 curve..right?

I'm going through the measuring again and doing the partial sample set
this time...just to make sure what I've got.   I've gone over the
friction issues and now #16 is way different...D=43 U=17...too much lead
for that key...5  3/8" leads...BW is 30...way to low...so if I can get
it up to D=55 and U=23, I'll have BW=38...
You mentioned getting my BW down and I think I understand that now.
Too much downweight and too much upweight...in general...heavier hammers
will take care of some of that and FW changes will do the rest...?   I
think...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044