1/2 punching

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Aug 8 16:20:04 MDT 2006

At 10:59 am -0600 8/8/06, Cy Shuster wrote:

>That's fascinating, John.
>
>I can't see much benefit for sharps from the small trough.  Won't
>they feel much different from naturals?

As I said, perhaps the photo does not make things clear enough.  No,
the trough gives a well-defined angle just in front of the back pins
just like that in front of the front pins.  It is with the "lazy"
flat-topped rail that the naturals and the sharps will feel
different.  That was my point.  When I've time I'll make a drawing,
or even a movie to illustrate it.

>Is there a second fulcrum shift as the key later hits the bump at
>the natural's balance pin?

That doesn't happen because the sharps are have a long shallow notch
forward of the balance hole just as on other pianos.  However this
notch begins, on the Steinway, a good 6mm forward of the pin, so its
function is solely to avoid knocking the rail; it has no effect at
the balance.

The same good effect as from the "trough" could be achieved in theory
by cutting into the bottom of the key at the balance hole, but I
presume this has not been tried, so far as I know, because a moment's
thought will tell you this would leave only a tiny triangle of
softwood between the balance pin and thin air and the balance holes
would ovalize in no time.

JD